The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale is officially open to the public, and I could not be more excited! Since the sale opened to Nordstrom cardholders last week, I’ve been pouring over the selection, adding to my Wish List, taking note of what is selling fast, and where the ‘look for less’ deals are. The wait for public access has also given me time to go through my closet and take inventory on where there are gaps in my wardrobe, what items will get the most use, and what I need to replace.
Because I’m working part-time, and am no longer going into a corporate office setting for work, most of what I wear is pretty casual, but still polished. I’ve learned that even when I don’t have anything scheduled, I feel my best and am most productive when I get dressed in the morning. Sometimes that means something cozy, but wearing something that is appropriate to leave the house in is key! So, what does this mean for my sale-strategy? Breaking down the sale into a few main components: denim, sweaters, tops, dresses, outerwear, and shoes- all that can be interchanged to work together, and with the rest of my wardrobe.
1. The Paige Hoxton High Waist Ankle Skinny Jean is a universally flattering style that looks equally good with heels, sneakers, or with high boots. They’re super soft, and basically feel like you’re wearing sweatpants. I have two pairs of this style, and love how well they wear and wash. These are one of the best deals, and are under $100.
2. I’ve become a big fan of black denim fan in the past few years, something about it makes any outfit feel just a little more dressed up. FRAME has also become a favorite brand, with just the right amount of stretch, and lots of ‘Le High’ waisted styles- my favorite. These FRAME Le High Skinny Jeans are something special with the raw edges and step hem, and a rare opportunity to get FRAME denim on sale- generally they sell out, and when they do go on sale, sizes are limited and get snatched up quickly.
3. Another pair of FRAME jeans, the FRAME Le Nouveau Split Hem denim immediately went onto my Wish List, and I can’t wait to start wearing them! In addition to the obvious opening in the front, I love the released hem, giving the split just a little more interest and polish. I can’t wait to wear these with mules and cozy sweaters this fall!
4. These Rag & Bone High Waist Skinny Ankle Jeans are also on my Wish List and will be one of the first things I order Friday morning. I love these so much they almost make me wish for a cold front to come through!
5. Every year the AG The Legging Raw Hem Ankle Skinny Jeans are a top seller, and receive a lot of hype. I love AG Jeans, and can vouch for this style being comfortable, flattering, and feeling like a second skin. These are not as high waisted as I like to wear right now, but with on-trend details like a raw hem and distressed pockets, this versatile style will be a go-to for all of your fall outfits.
1. This Free People Sweater looks so cozy, and comes in a few colors, two of which are still available in all sizes (at the time I’m writing this, but keep checking as items get restocked!). It will work equally well layered under a jacket as it will over a button down or dress. I’m keeping my eye out for the Rose color to come back in stock!
2. There are certain items that continue to sell out once they’ve been restocked, and this Lightweight Rib Stitch Cardigan is one of them! It’s the perfect layering piece, and looks much more luxe than its under $35 price point.
3. I’m such a sucker for navy and white stripes, and when a flourished sleeve is also in the mix, well, I can’t resist! This Ruffle Bell Cuff Sweater is something I’ll start wearing right away on chilly nights, and keep wearing all the way into spring.
4. This little sweater is such a perfect transition piece, and is something I was so glad I purchased last year. I sized up to a M for a more relaxed fit (for reference, I usually wear a XS/S in tops), and it fits perfectly layered both over and under other pieces.
5. This Patchwork Cardigan is so good! With it’s grey and cream color palette it will go with everything, and the big pockets make it the perfect piece to wear on a quick run when all you need are phone, card, and keys!
1. I love the flirty sleeves on this top that dress up something comfy and easy to wear, and the Pink Smoke color is so pretty! This top also comes in black and grey, and is still available in all sizes in all colors.
2. Peplums can be hit or miss for me- sometimes they’re too big and exaggerated, sometimes they hit at the wrong spot- and when they’re a miss, well, they’re bad. This Madewell Peplum Shirt is an example of a peplum done right! The slight cinching at the waist and very modest peplum work together to make this super flattering, add stripes and this is my idea of a perfect shirt! As an added bonus, the button down closure also makes this very nursing friendly! This similar style is also available in a pretty light blue chambray.
3. Silk button downs are always such an easy style to wear and instantly look pulled together. The extra details on the FRAME Piped Double Pocket Silk Shirt make it really something special! I love the contrast of the bold black piping and buttons against the otherwise classic style, giving this top just a little bit of edge. It’s one of the priciest tops in the sale, but there are several looks for less…more on that coming next week!
4. Chambray shirts are clearly not going anywhere, and for under $100, the Rails Carter Chambray Shirt is a year-round staple you’ll want to scoop up! Rails shirts are so flattering, hold up and wash well, and are so versatile. The color of this particular chambray shirt is so rich and really unique, making this another piece I’ll start wearing right away, and keep wearing on the regular!
5. The ties at the sleeves make the appropriately named Tie Sleeve Blouse extra special. This top would work equally well for work, or with jeans on the weekend, and comes in 4 colors. I love the Black Wild Ditzy Floral and the Ivory Birch Tapestry Floral, although at $30 off during the sale I may get both!
1. Black and white prints have become a staple in my wardrobe, so this Madewell Dress fits right in. The sleeve length makes this a perfect dress to transition into fall, and with a jacket thrown over it, will be great for winter, too!
2. La Vie Rebecca Taylor dresses are always a hit. They have a relaxed fit that makes them comfortable enough to lounge in, but still look put together. This one happens to be the same style as my favorite dress from last fall, that has become a year round favorite.
3. The pink and red color combo is still going strong, and with the addition of a camel block, this DVF Colorblock Knit Dress takes a more everyday approach to the look, which had previously been mostly seen in formalwear. I love the idea of wearing this with a leather or denim jacket, and Adidas Superstars.
4. Last year i bought a dress that is the exact same style as this Theory Chiffon Dress after seeing how great it looked on a friend. The flowy sleeves and flirty hem give this dress the perfect amount of movement, while the straight cut of the bodice is somehow incredibly flattering on multiple body types. This dress is great for work, a date, a night out, or with sneakers (Adidas Superstars are seriously the answer to wearing anything casually!).
5. This Cinq à Sept Dress is so gorgeous, and styled with this bodysuit underneath, is everything I want in a formal look! I have absolutely nothing to wear this to, but if I had a wedding, shower, or other event to attend, this would be the only thing I’d want to wear.
1. Ok, stop what you’re doing (but come right back!) and go buy this Suede Moto Jacket, because it is selling out fast! My leather jacket is one of my most worn pieces, and I love that this jacket has some of the same features- asymmetrical zipper, generous collar- all in beautiful, buttery suede. In 3 gorgeous colors and under $130, this jacket is one of the best deals of the sale!
2. This Long Sleeveless Vest was something that I kept looking at last year during the sale, but didn’t pull the trigger thinking that I wouldn’t wear a vest enough to justify the purchase. Boy was I wrong! I can’t even count the number of times I thought to myself, “this outfit needs something…if only I had that vest!”. In addition to pulling an outfit together, a vest is a great way to add another layer of warmth without adding bulk.
3. At the end of last winter I had to part with my beloved light grey J. Crew jacket that I’d had for years. It was the perfect icy pale grey, and always drew a ton of compliments. This Boiled Wool Coat is very similar style to the one I had, and is almost the exact same color! It is a perfect transition piece for fall and looks amazing with black, navy, and (especially!) honey brown.
4. Every year I say I’m going to get a rain coat, and then every time it rains, I’m wet, miserable, and mad at myself for not following through. Well, enter this Barbour Raincoat and that cycle is over! It comes in army green and navy, and has the prettiest floral lining that I know will put a smile on my face every time I wear it!
5. This colorblock jacket is the perfect mix of earthy and feminine colors. At just slightly over $100, is a great price on a piece that will stand out, and go with everything at the same time. The shearling trim looks so cozy, it makes me want to roast marshmallows in a fire pit on a crisp fall night!
1. These Hinge Booties are selling out fast, and at under $80 and coming in the perfect shade of tan, as well as black, it’s no wonder! With a low heel height, they are comfortable, and look great with dresses and skirts, denim shorts, and jeans.
2. Mirrored shoes are something I wasn’t too sure about at first, until getting a pair and now I’m a believer! They go with EVERYTHING, and add just the right amount of fun to an outfit, while still looking mature. I especially love them in a mule, which somehow makes them feel more traditional than trendy. This is a shoes that has staying power!
3. More mules! And another style that I shied away from, but have come to love- leopard print- a neutral, I swear. Wear them with black, tan, pink, stripes, a bold lip, or all of the above!
4. The slip-on sneaker trend is one that I still haven’t tried, and these could be my first foray into what looks like the most comfortable shoes around. I love that they’re waterproof and serve as a better looking option than traditional rain boots on wet days.
5. Suede over-the-knee boots, in 4 colors, for under $160 (!). These are a fraction of the cost of the Stuart Weitzman version and are such a similar style, with the addition of some subtle texture around the foot and heel.